Unfortunately for those of us who own pets, this question is likely to occur at some point over the course of their lives. Dogs and cats frequently get exposed to pet toxins. Common household items like houseplants, medications, and even some human foods like grapes, sugar-free gum, and chocolate can all be toxic to pets!
So, what do we do when the unexpected happens? The truth is, every situation is going to be different depending on the size of your pet, the kind of item they ingested or chewed on, and the amount of it they had access to. The only absolute answer is that TIME is critical. When we respond quickly, we give our pets the best chance of a full recovery.
HERE’S WHAT TO DO:
Contact your veterinarian immediately, even if you are unsure about whether the item is a serious problem. If your veterinarian is not open at the time of ingestion, do not wait to take action! Contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435).
Your veterinarian may consult with Poison Control on the item your pet ingested. The team of veterinary toxicologists will create a treatment plan, discuss potential side-affects, and set up future check points for your pet based on the history and doctor’s assessment. The recommendations will be documented and updated as your pet receives care. Your pet will be assigned a unique case number so the entire treatment team will receive plans and updates. As a bonus, if your pet has a registered HOMEAGAIN Microchip, consultations at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center are included at no charge!
If you see your pet ingest a potential toxin, it is tempting to turn to the internet for quick answers. While the internet can be a wonderful resource, it is very difficult to assess quickly whether a source is credible or not. In addition, it is always important to consider your pet’s unique medical history, vitals, and individual health when assessing toxic risk. When dealing with a potential toxicity, please skip the internet and call your veterinarian or ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately!
Below is a link to important contact information for Good Life Veterinary Care and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. We encourage you to explore the website ahead of any incidents to familiarize yourself with some of the most common household items that can be toxic to pets.
Good Life Veterinary Care: (614) 791-9191
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: (888) 426-4435
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center handles about 200,000 cases of animal toxicity each year. Here is their most recent list of the TOP 10 PET TOXINS: